Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why does my oil-burning furnace kick in every 5 minutes?

I moved the thermostat last week, and ever since then my furnace kicks in constantly. Did I do something wrong?Why does my oil-burning furnace kick in every 5 minutes?
maybe where you moved it to don't get the heat that the rest of the house gets-unless your rich i would move it back-the price of oil is insaneWhy does my oil-burning furnace kick in every 5 minutes?
Without knowing at all the type of thermostat, Mercury filled balance tube, Digital, etc. I suspect that's where the problem is. It seems logical that you've distrupted it's balance or calibration.





Steven Wolf


Just my 2 cents
It is probably an old mechanical unit that must be perfectly level. You can replace it with a digital programmable unit and save 10-15% on your heating bill. It is an easy diy project and not very expensive. For more info including a replacement guide, check out the thermostat page at my source.
If you moved it to a location where there is a draft from outside air the premature cooling of the air around the thermostat may be causing the unit to cycle on and off more frequently.
Perhaps the thermostat is dirty or the contacts are stuck. you could take off the cover and see if the thing is dusty. Did you see the temp to high, you would probably need to turn the water temp up. There is a hi/low limiter in the aqua stat. If the unit has not been serviced in a while, I would have that done to.

No comments:

Post a Comment