Thursday, January 7, 2010

I smell oil burning in my car especially it seems when I turn on the heat?

But I also smell it when I am driving and the car is at a stop. There is not a lot of exhaust coming out so I don't think I'm burning a lot of oil and it's hard to tell if there is a leak because I live in a congested neighborhood and there's a lot of stuff on the ground already. What could possibly be wrong?I smell oil burning in my car especially it seems when I turn on the heat?
You're probably burning oil. Possible problems could be valve guide seals, piston rings, a bad headgasket, or just oil leaking out of an external gasket on to the exhaust. My accord burns alot of oil through the valve guide seals and the rocker arm seals but you still can't see any noticeable smoke from the exhaust.I smell oil burning in my car especially it seems when I turn on the heat?
It sounds like you are having oil leaking onto your manifold and when it burns they odors are backing into the car. Your best bet is to take it to wherever you gat your oil changes done and ask them to take a look.
As long as you don't have excess white smoke coming out the engine you might be alright. When that happens you have a busted block which is very bad. Once you fix those things there is a good chance it will break again. I would get it fixed before it becomes a really expensive problem. Have a auto mechanic take a look. They have to call you before they do any work on it but at least you can get someone that knows what they're doing. DON'T let just anybody get under the hood of your car. Would you rather get your hair done at the salon or just get a housecut and take the chance of someone that hasn't been trained screwing up your hairdo. Same principle.
Try parking somewhere where there's not that much on the ground and let it sit for a while. Does it smoke like once you've stopped somewhere...cause if so...then you have a leak..
Most common cause of burning oil smells are leaks in the valve cover gaskets-they tend to allow oil to run down onto the exhaust manifolds and burn off, then is sucked into the car via the climate control air inlet. Because the oil is being burned, it never hits the ground.
the oil could be leaking out a little on the engine and the hot engine heats it up----kinda like Crisco.


Look real good at the engine. raise the hod when it is warmed up and running and see if you notice a little whiff of smoke.
you probably have an oil leak and whats happening is its leaking on the exhaust and the reason you smell it with the heat on is you are pulling in the outside air you should let the veh run in park and at an idle and open the hood and ck for smoke coming from the engine compartment to get an idea of where it is coming from hope this helps good luck
I would agree with just about all of them. So I think they pretty well covered it. There is a oil leak some where and its time to start hunting it before it causes real damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment